[Talk-ca] Fwd: canvec2osm sample area tofino BC _with roads

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Apr 2 03:44:29 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 12:32 -0700, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> Yup,
> It's kinda cool seeing both the CanVec roads & the geobase roads in
> the same spot.
> Check out Glenwoodville,AB
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.3667&lon=-113.5167&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF
>
> when viewing the canvec data overtop.
>

> http://sites.google.com/a/acrosscanadatrails.com/www/Home/canvec2osmsamplearea082h05PincherCreekAB.zip

Hi Sam,

I've had a look at Pincher Creek.

It is interesting to see the contrast between the OSM and the import
data.

[ I see that others have already contributed to this thread while I was
looking at this.  Sorry for the partial duplication ]

Some things that concern me.  The junction of James Avenue and Dundas
Street are an example of these concerns, though the problems exist at
many locations, not just the selected intersection.

- junction connectivity is broken.
For example, on the roads_segment layer, is a four-way junction but the
junction is broken. (49.4900, -113.9432) has four nodes, one for each
road segment from the N, E, W, and S.  Merging the four nodes seems like
the right thing to do before we consider importing.

- a junction and a dead end?
On the dead_end layer is a node at the same point.  That surprises me.
How can this be a junction and a dead end?  The "dead end nodes" appear
at most road junctions.

- road names are broken.
Both roads (all four segments) have defined values for canvec:L_STNAME,
canvec:R_STNAME but name="-"  We'll get more from the import if we
populate name.  Ideally we can populate name when L_STNAME = R_STNAME,
and use the two names when they differ.

- "-" for null
Several properties are set to "-" when they should be unset / null / not
used.

- contours are broken and not in OSM
The contour_imperial layer is 7MB and the largest layer in the Pincher
Creek data.  You should get broad support for importing this data from
talk before you consider including contours in the import.  Even if you
find that support, this contour layer is of very little use.  There is
no elevation data in the contour vectors.

- duplicate data in islands and water bodies
Waterbody layer includes internal and external boundaries.  Island layer
duplicates those internal boundaries.

- named features missing name:en
Scotts Coulee, for example, has name and name:fr set, but not name:en
They should probably all be the same unless language specific names are
provided.