[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Addr:streetnumber:first;last:left;right

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Mon Apr 6 20:37:29 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/4/6 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>:
>> so for whats available in the dataset, along with the way listing the
>> roadname;is_in and/or addr:city ... Is the listing of the first&last
>> house number on the left side, as well as first/last on the right.

it is "addr:city".

There is no "left" or "right" as we use separate ways just for this.
(There are reasond for it.) The perfect way are single houses
drawn as polygons with building=yes and addr:housenumber=xy ,
the next best thing nodes places where each house is and
the next best thing is 2 or more nodes where single house-numbers
are known connected by a way tagged addr:interpolaton=even/odd/...
to we can calculate where each house would be.

You can use Traveling Salesman to test actual, working
house-number search.

>> For the geobase2osm script we excluded this feature, as we couldnt
>> figure the best way to tag.
>> Now I found that the data is also available in the canvec set.
>> So one option is to have it as a way over top of the roadway.
>
> We're importing a small number of streets from a project called UMP
> pcPL that has similar housenumber data as you describe (for *some*
> streets).  Here's how my script converts it to OSM:
>
> We add a addr:interpolation on each side of the way with an arbitrary
> offset and with some simple heuristics to make it look correct
> (although obviously it needs a manual check like all imported data -
> to see that it corresponds with reality).  I didn't add any address
> relations but addr:street value can be used to add relations
> automatically if needed.  Here's a sample:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.23954&lon=21.10434&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

Sound cool!

One suggestion:
As this is automated anyway, try to add hints about what street the
houses belong to.

easy to implement version:
 Simply add a tag add:street=nam to the interpolation-ways

slightly less easy to implement but easier to evaluate in address-search:
  add an associateStreet- relation

I will download that area one of these days and play around with my
address-seach a bit, okay?
With so much test-data I may be able to improve the algorithm I use
to associate the street with the house-numbers :) .

Marcus