[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Addr:streetnumber:first;last:left;right

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:54:39 BST 2009

2009/4/6 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>:
> The data set does have the "city:left" &"city :right" fields. (as part
> of the DBF file) Although probably not useful because the city boundry
> will eventually get shown.
>
> And ya, use the last sample of canvec (as its the best) -Niagara falls Ontario
>
> "addr:interpolation" i'll add that tag, thanks. ... but however these
> arn't 'odd' 'even' ..
> What about (from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr)
> ***
> "addr:alternatenumber   "
>  house number
> If a object has two numbers. Better use "addr:housenumber=<first>;<second>"
> ***
> So the line can show a long stretch from <second> where it would be
> the 'last'?  Would this work?
>
> From the sample, it looks like the off-set way can be extracted from
> the data. So then we still get the other details from the road shown.
> Something that i dont know how todo.  But will certainly keep the
> learning curve going to help out.
>
> Also, it appears from that sample that the road DO show the
> 'first/last' house number. .. as it's showing the start/finish of the
> house numbers for the odd side of the road, and the star/finish for
> the even side of the road.

Yes, the UMP data contains exactly what you describe, left side
first-last & right side first-last housenumbers, for every *segment*
(not way) but we need to convert it to the Karlsruhe scheme before
upload to OSM, so these lateral addr:interpolation ways are created
automatically by the script.

I'm not completely sure either representation is better... maybe both
types should be standardised - the UMP project makes maps particularly
for Garmin devices so apparently if you upload your map into your
Garmin receiver and ask it to route you to a given housenumber, it
will want to know the first and last housenumber for all way segments,
and will interpolate the position...

now I'm sure that at some point a lot of people will want to use OSM
on the Garmins (very few people do now) and the converter will have to
translate the Karlsruhe scheme back into the Garmin/canvec/geobase
scheme.  This can be done by converting the addr:interpolation ways
into new "garmin" ways that will have the address information but will
not be routable - but then they will be disconnected from the road
network and the routing may fail.  The other option is to *project*
the lateral addr:interpolation ways onto the street segment, but this
is a little more complex to implement (imagine zigzagging streets and
zigzagging addr:interpolation ways)

Cheers