[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Addr:streetnumber:first;last:left;right

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:31:57 BST 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:12:07 +0200, Florian Lohoff <flo at rfc822.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:44:37PM +0200, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>> We add a addr:interpolation on each side of the way with an arbitrary
>> offset and with some simple heuristics to make it look correct
>> (although obviously it needs a manual check like all imported data -
>> to see that it corresponds with reality).  I didn't add any address
>> relations but addr:street value can be used to add relations
>> automatically if needed.  Here's a sample:
>
> My guess is that addr:interpolation ways are overkill. As the OSR Project
> shows people tend to interpolate regardless of the additional tags
> telling them to do so. When you have 3-7 fixed housenumbers on the road
> just interpolate.

People do, people are intelligent.
Software does not.

Software that searches for addresses needs to know
how to interpolate (does that city use even/odd or
left-up/right-down or house-numbers running around
the block or whatever?),
that 5A is near 5, all the places where a house cannot
possible be, ...

Given only a few house-numbers at intersections even
people get it wrong quite often if they are used to
other numbering-schemas then the one used there.

This is a very, very complex thing to do once you think
about it and it is still very hard to get it right even
with the Karlsruhe Schema.

Marcus