[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Addr:streetnumber:first;last:left;right

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Tue Apr 7 17:22:23 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 11:28:16AM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:

> All the world is not Germany  (echoing "All the world's not a VAX",
> but I date myself).  Here in the USA, many areas were renumbered for
> the e911 initiative.  The numbering?  Well, it may vary from place to
> place, but for my area, it's the number of feet down your road divided
> by 25 (half the width of a buildable lot, so you can have a unique
> number on each side of the road).

Is even or odd bound to a specific side of the road?

I ask because i noticed that a Garmin Nuevi announces the side of the road
the target should be when you reach it. The TomTom device i have does not.

When even/odd are not bound to a specific side of the road and you
want announcements like that you again mostly need to tag all individual
addresses.

> Thus, for many roads near me, interpolation is not only usable, it's
> technically correct.
>
> Not that numbering individual houses is wrong, either.

Right - it might be a bit redundant - but who cares in a project
which exports 100G+ XML files ;)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little