[Talk-ca] Tips request on gathering trails.

Michael Houle m_houle at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 15 04:50:12 BST 2009

Hi, I'm from Sherwood Park, Alberta.

I just joined talk-ca, so I'll start getting more informed on what's
going on.

I've been thinking about how I'll start on some trails that I'm
interested in uploading. And I thought that some projects may be quite
large to undertake. Imagine walking the entire blackfoot recreational
area (over 80km of trail), or Elk Island trails.

My immediate interest is in trails in my area, and I will start
contributing some high quality (I hope) trails via GPS. But for some
of the larger areas, it may be better to try and cooperate with some
local officials. i.e. Strathcona county for bike/rec trails and
Alberta/Canada departments for some of the provincial/National trails.
If they already have the digital information, and don't mind sharing
without restriction, then why not.

I'm guessing Geobase won't have trails based on what I've read so far.

Any tips or suggestions ?

Thanks.