[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk-fr] City classification in Québec

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 23:01:36 BST 2009

2009/8/6 Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>:
> Yan Morin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to put the right place tag and here are the values in the wiki:
>>
>>    * *place*=municipality
>>
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:place%3Dmunicipality&action=edit&redlink=1>
>>
>>      - Part of city or town (or *place*=district
>>
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Tag:place%3Ddistrict&action=edit&redlink=1>
>> ?)
>>
> I am not sure that Municipality is used that often.

As mentionned in the wiki page discussion, the municipality tag is
just a proposal and is probably a bad idea because we use the well
establish admin_level in the boundary relation to express the
administrative status of a place. The place itself is tagged with
place=town/city/village and all are municipalities. Also we have
municipalities with two or more villages aggregated together under the
same administration (one mayor). In this case, we have one relation
for the boundary and several places tagges as place=village.

>> Should I translate Ville -> "Town"
>> Municipalité -> "municipality" even if it's not part of a town.
>> Village/Paroisse -> "village" ?
>>
> In France, we translate Ville as City, Municipalite as Town and Village
> well as Village. I know it is not very clear as it has different meaning
> due to different administrative meaning. I have copied the French
> Mailing list in case someone can answer better than me on this topic.

Not sure that Municipalité is a town. It can be a city, a town or a
village. All of them have a council called "conseil municipal" because
all of them are municipalities. What you call a "Ville" can be a city
or a town. We fixed the limit to 100.000+ inhabitants for a city and
between 10.000 and 100.000 for a town. A village is everything which
is a municipality (with a mayor) below 10.000. An hamlet is several
houses inhabited but depending of an other bigger place (it is not a
municipality).
These are arbitrary values and may differe in other countries. The
definition for a town is different in Japan, South Africa or
Greenland.

>> And or do you name a "Secteur" (old municipality merged with a town)?
>> a locality or a suburb?
>>
> I would name it as a suburb. A suburb is part of a town or a city
> usually. Recently, we had a discussion on how to tag Quartier, and it
> was mentionned that locality is actually a good tag for Quartier.
+1

>> The main problem in my region is that it seems like I can't use the
>> population count.
>>
>> Biggest town: Ville de Mont-Laurier, population: *13 394, area:
>> **590,64 km²
>> Second town: Ville de Rivière-Rouge, population: **4 548, area:
>> **463,18 km²
>> Biggest Municipalité: Ferme-Neuve, population: **3 010, area: * *1
>> 031,55 km². (not part of any city or town)
>> Only village: Lac-Saguay, population: **496, area:  **176,26 km²
> In France, village has a different meaning than village on the wiki. I
> think the limit is 2000 inhabitants, but I could be wrong. I would be
> tempted to answer to tag as follow
> 1), 2) as towns 3) as village and 4) as hamlet.

The limit in France for a village is up to 10.000 when it exists as a
municipality (with a mayor). In France, we opted for the population
because it is something easy, numbers are published and is repeatable.
Other countries like yours might select other criteria like surface
combined with population or defined by your administration.

regards
Pieren