[Talk-ca] Catch up

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 15 14:01:42 BST 2009

Jim Shaver wrote:
> I just joined OSM today.  Was so excited I jumped in the car immediately
> and started making traces and uploading them.  I was also excited to see
> that OSM is working on an import of the GeoBase information.  Can
> someone point me in the right direction as to where I can catch up on
> what is involved in this process?  What formats are coming out of
> GeoBase?  I have some programming experience and would love to help out
> on that end if needed.  I live in Saskatchewan, but have lived in
> Alberta and BC as well.

See

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBase
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase_NRN_-_OSM_Map_Feature
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec_OSM_Map_Features

For more details

GeoBase gives out the data in Shapefile and GML format.   We have a
program that converts the roads from the GML to osm format for upload.
We also have some techniques for trying to avoid importing roads already
in OSM.

Read over the wiki pages and feel free to ask specific questions if
anything is unclear.  I don't think anyone has yet started on roads in
Saskatchewan.

Steve