[Talk-ca] Problem with big file in JOSM

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:39:14 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca>wrote:

> Yan Morin wrote:
> > shp-to-osm don't split relations and I can't import with the bulk upload
> > script because these two files are two big for OSM 0.6 API limits.
>

> Which limit is it too big for?
>
> Bulk_import.py should take a large changeset and split it into smaller
> upload chunks that fit inside the API limits.
>
> However if you have a way with more than 2000 nodes or are violating the
> other hard API data limits then bulk_import.py or JOSM won't help you.
> You will need to split your way into multiple smaller ones and then
> connect them with a relation.

Yup, that's most likely it.  A large waterbody (outer) would probably be the
cause of the failure.
So in order to keep it that the 'inner' shapes to get reversed.  What i did
was manually select a portion of it, and copy it onto a new layer, and
delete, then copy another portion onto a new layer and delete etc. .. so i'm
left with 4 or so layers each with a portion of the data, then upload one
piece at a time.

I know it's a pain, thats why im working on the script so that the java
program is easy for many others to run and work on a section.   So it's only
when your out there mapping other things and you want to add in the
rivers/water areas, then you can copy it over.
I'm doing that more the Greater Victoria area, and it seems to be slow, but
fine.

BTW, im also logged in as 'geobase:Acrosscanadatrails' when im importing the
stuff, rather than my regular login.  That way, if we later find out there
was something major wrong, and all my edits need to be removed..  it's only
with that login.  not my personal one.   You might want todo the same. :)
(if you plan on importing lots more geobaseNHN stuff)