[Talk-ca] [Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Aug 20 02:12:46 BST 2009

First I think you just breached the data protection act and are using
data which even I don't have access to, but lets ignore that and the
fact that Nick has actually been pushing to make the list more open. A
list which only you, Mike and 80n have.

I really wish we could just pay people in Kiev to do exactly what I
say, but we can't. It's insulting to their integrity and intelligence
to suggest that they simply become members of OSMF to vote for Nick or
I. Everyone at CloudMade is encouraged to be a member of the
Foundation. From me, to the ambassadors we had, to our executives to
our developers. The majority of us have been members for some time. I
don't know all the details as I don't deal with them on a daily basis
but from my understanding is that this 'mass joining' was simply
because they didn't have individual credit cards that would work from
the Ukraine on paypal.

To be clear, we've not told staff at CloudMade to vote for anyone. You
clearly have no respect for Nick, me or anyone we employ in the
Ukraine, but you could ask some of our London team to confirm this if
you have any respect for them?

We're in a very difficult position and don't always make the right
choices. CloudMade has contributed tens of thousands of pounds in cash
to the Foundation for things like sponsorship and servers. We've spent
man years on coding work. Nick, me and many other in CloudMade spend
far beyond 9-5 working to promote OSM and make it fly. But if we make
a small mistake we're hung up to dry by people like Frederik as some
kind of map-based Darth Vader figure.

If we don't encourage people to join then we're not part of the
community and engaged. If we do then you can interpret it as being a
take over. So we walk a fine balancing act. That's just the way it is,
and we try hard to make the right decisions. This is something we'll
learn from. But I sincerely hope that the majority of people look at
how much hard work we've put in and the good we've done for OSM
despite a sometimes fractious community and the pot shots like this
taken.

 From a practical point of view I have no idea what conspiracy we'd be
trying to achieve anyway. If we really were deranged enough to try and
'take over' then firstly we could just register tens or hundreds of
fake people with hotmail email addresses and avoid this. Second, I
don't know what we'd be taking over. The data has very clear
protections all over it to stop people taking it over and I want them
only to be made stronger (not weaker Public Domain which is what
Frederik wants). The Foundation has very little assets and I've put
the last 5 years of my life in to making OSM better since I founded.
It would be super dumb, gain me nothing and destroy my reputation and
OSM to be Evil and do any of that.

Anyway, the Ukraine has it's own strong community, just have a look at http://mapping.in.ua/
  and I think you have your numbers wrong in assuming everyone in the
Ukraine works for CloudMade.

I and CloudMade are very open to learning from these kinds of hiccups
and am all ears for how we can do better. I'd go so far as to suggest
that maybe we could ask our Ukraine staff not to vote at all, but that
would lack the same respect you don't have for them.

But lets look at the real issue, Frederik. You're intensely jealous
that your own firm, GeoFabrik, which you didn't bother to declare in
your anti-CM email, has had little success compared to CloudMade. Your
jealous to the point of stripping all references to me out of your
book on OpenStreetMap. You don't want anyone who's not from Germany to
come to your German-only German SOTM your planning because you want
your own little empire and fame.

I wouldn't normally point to all of that because I have a lot of
respect for you and I want GeoFabrik, ITO World and all the other
companies using OpenStreetMap to succeed. But you keep doing this
stuff without getting any push back, and if you're going to attack
people like this in public then you should declare the other side of
the coin.

We have a larger goal. OpenStreetMap is going to be the best map of
the world and we need to work together to make it happen. Let's not
squabble over this stuff because we're David right now and there is a
Goliath in terms of TeleAtlas and NavTeq. We need mappers, the
Foundation, the sysadmin team, developers, academia and companies to
work together in an ecosystem to make it happen. Let's deal with each
other in a more respectful way, don't automatically assume people are
evil and assume that people are acting in good faith.

That way, we can all work on a better map.

I'm very contactable by anyone who has any concerns over this and
encourage people to judge me and Nick on what we do and not what
Frederik says. Feel free to phone me, IM or whatever. Details here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Steve

Yours &c.

Steve