[Talk-ca] Can-Amera border, states and provinces.

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 26 13:35:45 BST 2009

Richard Weait wrote:

> Well we are all the OSM project, so regional styles would have some
> support; you and me at least. ;-)  How to implement it?  That's a
> question.

I'm interested in regional styles as well, but it's a tough nut to
crack, if you want the regional styles to be collated into 1 overall
map, like the competition also has.

> So, IF mapnik / osmarender supported regions style sheets,

They can easily render from different stylesheets, as a separate task.
That only makes you end up with 2 sets of tiles. The interesting, and
very challenging task, is then how to stitch them up at the boundaries
where the style changes.

> and IF regional style sheets existed for USA and Canada,

That's up to people like you and me. They won't magically pop into
existence. Fortunately, most of the changes involve tweaks to colour,
symbols, and zoom levels. Most of the structure of the stylesheet can be
preserved just fine when doing another style.

> and IF the Foundation / server team decided to support the idea,
> then the main site could serve regional tiles to all who visit.
>
> I think that the first two points are the tricky ones.

Do not discount the last one. =>

> Would the main OSM site connect to and defer to the regional server?

No. The stance I got when it came up in discussion is that the map on
openstreetmap.org will only show tiles coming from servers under control
of the osm.org admins. They would not redirect to an outside server for
different regions.

--
Lennard