[Talk-ca] Olympic Lane / Voie Olympique

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Dec 17 19:41:21 GMT 2009

Richard Weait wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Adam Dunn <dunnadam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For those wondering what this is about, Vancouver is designating certain
>> traffic lanes for official Olympic vehicles (public transit buses, athlete
>> transportation, media transportation, etc). Other lanes on the same street
>> are to remain open for public use. See
>> [http://olympichostcity.vancouver.ca/gettingaround/driving/olympic-route-network.htm#1]
>> for more details.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Adam.
>
> I see a number of things in play here,
>
> These lanes are of local interest for only a limited time.  They may
> not get rendering support unless/even if you submit patches to the
> renderers.  If you want to render this yourself, perhaps an openlayers
> "mashup" will be more to your liking?
>
> One lane out of a way, for special use suggests something like
> cycleway=lane.  Perhaps olympic=lane ?
>
> This is an item that will exist for a limited time period, so date_on=
> and date_off tags for this restriction seem reasonable.
>
> Overall this smells like a relation to me.  There are no physical
> changes to the roads (?)  Perhaps only temporary signs.  Relations for
> this allow you to add the restrictions and label in a single place,
> then remove it afterwards.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route
>
> Perhaps like this
>
> type=route
> route=olympic
> name=Olympic Route
> access=official
> date_on=
> date_off=
>
> members would be the way sections that are part of the route.

I'm less concerned with the layout of the Olympic network than which
routes have Olympic lanes.  My understanding is most of the olympic
network isn't going to be exclusively Olympic lanes, but one of the
general purpose lanes will be converted through April for Olympic and
Paralympic traffic only.  This isn't a unique-to-Canada thing, either;
Beijing also had Olympic Lanes during the Olympic and Paralympic games.