[Talk-ca] CanVec2osm - status update

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 00:13:48 GMT 2009

Hi all,I've added a new page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canvec2osm
as this will be the page that will describe the CanVec2osm import script.

I am using JUMP, and have the 092b06 shape zip file opened you can download
your local shape file from here, just type in your area.
http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do;jsessionid=865AC815355E3DBE3FFE3DD7BDBBA90C?id=28954

As you can see from the screenshot, i have the file open, and am looking at
BS_2010009_2
You can see  the wiki chart
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Buildings_and_structures

as you can see, there are 3 different codes 2010422, 2010252, 2010022.
 which coorisponds to Educational building, Other, Arena  respectifully.

Im using the shp-to-osm script, which uses java.. different than the shp2osm
script using python.   (python is  more confusing)

So far, im able to convert the whole shape file to OSM, but not adding any
tags.

NID:
This is where my argument for NID's come into play.  Because it's possable
to import OSM shape files to JUMP, i would then be able to see what features
are duplicates, then just select what i need to, and convert to OSM. ..
It looks like it's still being worked on..
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Convert_osm2shp_using_OSMLibrary_on_Ubuntu
'cause we use the automatch, when a new update of this file.. say
'educational building' gets updated, ..

One thing thats pritty cool is that i can zoom in to the tofino, area.. and
manually select those 'educational buildings'  then i can save that as a new
shape file, then run the shp-to-osm script, and create a standalone OSM file
of just this. I then can add in more tags.  (when physically being in the
area, i can get the names of the buildings, and the uses) ,, and upload to
OSM.

So anyway, if anyone knows how to also export each of these fields,
canvec:FID=*
canvec:CODE=*
canvec:VALDATE=*
canvec:PROVIDER=*
canvec:ID=*

some shape files will have more fields, but this is the basics.
and of course, importedby=canvecAcrosscanadatrails
source=canvec2009

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails