[Talk-ca] GeoBase Goals

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 2 07:02:37 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess you missed my last message (understanding the role Ibycus can &
> could play), but thats OK.

No, I probably saw it, just couldn't figure out what you were trying
to convey, or don't believe that the role is as important as you do.

> I'm scatter-brained by nature, so i am thinking about all aspects of the
> project at once.   I see the project as a complete project "The Across
> Canada Trails Project" ... This includes the paper coil-bound mapbook &
> wikiTravel GPS Guide, and web Slippy map.

Okay, you can do that, but the project at hand for the rest of us is
to import the GeoBase dataset into OSM. There are enough steps and
hurdles to keep us busy with this part of your project.

> I know that it's important to focus on 1 think at a time ... However, it's
> far to easy to get caught-up in the smaller details (which ARE ALL
> important).

Yes, that's one of the things we have to watch out for. We need to
balance watching out for minor details, while still making sure we
don't get bogged down headed towards the end. I don't believe we'll be
able to get everything figured out and perfect on the first pass, but
we also need to make sure we get things close enough that we don't
have to undo everything to fix the mistake.

> So i just keep on asking questions, and report back to the talk-ca list, for
> anyone to find and question if they want clarification :).  I just do the
> bits a pieces that i know how, and make it known when there's going on, so
> others can chime in if they can.

Yup, keep on doing that... sometimes you dig up some good information.

James
VE6SRV