[Talk-ca] Geobase Canadian Geopolitical Boundaries - take 2

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 01:08:27 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Michel Gilbert <michcasa at gmail.com> wrote:

> The delete task I have made gave me the chance to view how the boundaries
> follow Canadian coastlines. I must conclude that the coincidence is not very
> good.

Living in a land locked province, I never really though about having
ways coincide with the provincial border, but really, should we not be
looking for matches between coastlines, and the GeoBase provincial
boundary?

> However, I noticed that existing admin boundaries at US border is
> great either. International, State and county boundaries do not share the
> same nodes.

Nor do they end up along the same boundary.... The 49th parallel is
the southern boundary of the western provinces for quite a distance,
and you can find multiple administrative boundaries all over the
place.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.0045&lon=-111.2617&zoom=13&layers=0B00FTF

> So, I think it is worthwhile to bring Geobase boundaries in osm.
> It will provide a full canadian coverage, something to work from.

Yes, indeed, which is what I was getting at... The GeoBase
administrative boundaries along the coastline will probably provide
better coastline definition than what is available in the OSM database
currently. Once they get imported again, we'll have to compare.

James
VE6SRV