[Talk-ca] road names

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Jan 13 00:13:05 GMT 2009

I think that we should avoid semi-colon concatenation where ever we can
avoid it.

How about name, for the most common name?

name=<varies by location>
name:fr=<French>
name:en=<English>
name:iu=<Inuktitut>
name:mow=<Mohawk>
etc.

Are not parts of Ontario and New Brunswick predominantly francophone?  S
I'd say Quebec plus some other areas French, and the rest English.
Should all of Nunavut be Inuktitut by default?  I have seen local roads
on First Nations with street signs in Mohawk, I think.

Trans Canada Highway sounds to me like an ideal nat_name, and we can
name space it.  So wouldn't our Yellowhead example work as:

nat_name=Trans-Canada Highway
nat_name:fr=la Transcanadienne
nat_name:en=Trans-Canada Highway

Where Yellowhead Highway sounds like a regional name

reg_name=Yellowhead Highway
reg_name:fr=
reg_name:en=Yellowhead Highway

While the section through Edmonton is a local name.

loc_name=Yellowhead Trail
loc_name:fr=
loc_name:en=Yellowhead Trail

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bilingual_street_names

We should preserve the dataset too, so that local editors can improve
the data where possible.  So that we namespace the imported data:

geobase:rtename1en=<original data>
geobase:rtename2en=<original data>
geobase:rtename3en=<original data>
geobase:rtename4en=<original data>

and then convert and import like so to take the best guess for a
"default" name:en

name:en=rtename1en<original data>
alt_name:en=rtename2en; rtename3en; rtename4en

Similar for the name:fr series

then copy either the geobase:rtename1en or geobase:rtename1fr as the
default

name=rtename1{en/fr/iu depending on locale}

Same for the ref tags.  Numbered route (up to 5 numbers possible)
rtnumber1, rtnumber2, rtnumber3, rtnumber4, rtnumber5

geobase:rtnumber1=<original data>
geobase:rtnumber2=<original data>
geobase:rtnumber3=<original data>
geobase:rtnumber4=<original data>
geobase:rtnumber5=<original data>

ref=rtnumber1
alt_ref=rtnumber2; rtnumber3; rtnumber4; rtnumber5