[Talk-ca] NRN Fort McMurray area data

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 05:46:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If the standalone detection worked properly we should be able to upload the
> .standalone and not create any duplicate ways (My inputs where based on the
> Jan 07 canada.osm dump).  People could the use the full in JOSM 074.osm file
> to find places where roads are still missing and manually add them in.

> 2) Are we able to find a significant number of places where the standalone
> failed and will result in duplicate ways in OSM? This method will result in
> the import missing some roads but I can live with people manually
> finding+adding them. If others can't, then its time to speak up.

The standalone file does a pretty good job of finding the roads in
Fort McMurray that I haven't tracked on the GPS and added to the
database. There are some minor spots where my GPX tracks don't
coincide with the NRN placement of the roadway.

There's a section of roadway just west of the airport, that is tagged
as tertiary roadway. It's like a little rat's nest of roads, but from
my recollection, it's a gravel pit. I drove down the road, past the
television transmitter sites, and took pictures of my 4X4 sitting in
16 inches of water in the mud pit that was is called a road according
to GeoBase. But that's going to be happening in a number of places,
where local knowledge will supersede the GeoBase information.

I like having both the standalone file, which should be able to be
imported very quickly, populating a lot of information into the
database in a hurry. The full file is also needed so that one can go
over the places where the existing data ad standalone data might not
quite meet. I've found a number of these areas, plus areas where
standalone doesn't have a roadway that truly does stand alone.

Having both of these files will get a lot of the process automated
while still giving us the data that we need to be able to do the fine
tuning, the niggly little bits that are going to need to have a set of
eyeballs with a brain attached to do the final tweaks.

I'm more than ready to get after this!

Anyone know why I get red Exception Occurred tiles instead of the
Yahoo WMS layer?

James
VE6SRV