[Talk-ca] NRN Fort McMurray area data

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 21:10:16 GMT 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> People should feel free to find/add in any roads that were missed.
>
> If feedback is positive I can continue to import areas in Alberta.

As reported previously, sometimes the RoadMatcher is thinking roads
that intersect at 90 degrees are a match, and is leaving them out.
There are a number of these that I'll have to go back and insert.

As I work myself north towards Fort McMurray, I'm finding myself in
the more developed areas. I've just hit the southern limits of town,
in a residential subdivision. There's a circular route called Belgian
Green in the subdivision that I have converted from my GPS trace,
which has not been matched to the GeoBase data. I'm going to leave
this alone for now as an example. From my recollection, the GPS trace
represents a more accurate depiction of the roadway than the GeoBase
data.

Here's where OSM data is going to surpass GeoBase. The question
remains though, how to teach the RoadMatcher to recognize that these
two circular routes are the same roadway?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=56.65477&lon=-111.32785&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

James
VE6SRV