[Talk-ca] GeoBase import

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:02:27 GMT 2009

Thanks,
Great to hear from you.

Re: project plan & summery

ya, thats the point of doing a video conference, so everyone can get
up to speed. & outline the project goals. (it will be recorded so
others can watch later)

There is a fine balance in making decisions to 'go ahead' or to wait
until more responce is given.

For now, RoadMatcher seems to be the best answer. (for NRN)

We will be looking closer at it, to see if road numbers can be added
later. -can they?

The NHN would be smartest to import tile by tile, ensuring no
duplicate data. So a modification of road matcher & and Geopolitical
Boundaries script is needed.

One idea is that more of us start using the wiki more :). - but i'll
add it to my list of todo's.
Its a very small group of us working on a HUGE amount of data :-)

re: tiger
we (maybe I and others?) are following along on the talk-us list, and
asking those who directly  imported it for advice.
The bigest point is that we retain the UUID so it can be used for
future updates. ... however, using a DIFF file with the update
fileset, would probably be the smartest thing todo. .. so in a sense,
were not really using the UUID.  (as OSM would be sucessfuly merged
with GeoBase)

Road matcher:
This select import (diff matching)
is a BRILLIANT idea. For the benifit of retaining OSM having the odd
intersecting roads missed it's great to have the origional available.

For everyone on the list, were all helping out when we can, so
everyone is doing this on their own time. -although I want it done
yesterday :-) lol

It'll most likely be a few months till the other data sets are
(started) imported. -so whatever help you can donate (time) will
certainly help.

Thanks,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails