[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] uStream .tv broadcast 2pm PST 5pm EST - geobase import

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:13:22 GMT 2009

Thanks, ya your right :)
The show went good (IMO) as the question is now more apparent.

For government/bulk imports -where we know that updates are available;
how is it dealt with?

The solution is this IMO:
  1- take the latest OSM Data, as a file; the exact size area of the
shape file to be imported.

2 - extract  only the possable tags (if any) that are showing the same
info as you want to have the new data shown as.

3 -convert the OSM to shape file

4 - make a backup of OSM file

5 -remove those same selected osm data OUT OF the osm database.

6 - using whatever postGIS program, look at both shape files, and see
just how the 2 match up.

7 add osm tags the the whole thing.

8 use one of the bug finder tools to  find duplicate data, and PERGE
all the info together.

9 the result is a file that contains; new imported data with osm tags,
untouched osm data (that no match was available), and perged data (osm
& imported)

10 convert the file to OSM and upload to OSM.

Please poke fun at the steps, :)

cheers,
Sam