[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] uStream .tv broadcast 2pm PST 5pm EST - geobase import

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Jan 25 17:52:45 GMT 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>  So I think this is really 3-way merge
> process, and there needs to be something that looks at each item in
> the
> new dump, finds any previous import, and checks if it has been
> modified.
Bulk imports should always be done under a user dedicated for that one
purpose.  Bulk re-imports should only replace data if it still belongs
to the dedicated user.  If somebody has edited it, then it belongs to
them now, and won't be touched.  Then, we should rely on maplint to
look at the tags, and mark data which has duplicate import tags
(presuming that the user who edited it didn't delete the import
tags).  Otherwise, the problem devolves to duplicate data entry, which
is a problem we need to solve regardless (e.g. Poughkeepsie, NY got
mapped, and then overlaid by the TIGER import).

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson