[Talk-ca] GeoBase import woes...

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 27 06:14:34 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Would the ability to merge only selected items from one layer to the next
> make this substantially easier?

Yes, indeed it would. Instead of deleting everything I don't want,
then merging, reloading all, deleting everything, merging... I could
simply select what I want to merge, and "promote to layer", find
another part that is missing, and "promote" that as well.

> If so it might be worth seeing if we can get
> this added to JOSM. I think the feature is described by this
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/587 ticket. I'm not sure whats involved
> in getting it implemented.

Well, the request is over a year old, and all of the latest activity
associated seems to be spam attacks.

> There is a trade-off between missing more ways, and duplicating more ways
> that have errors. Are we better going with more aggressive settings in
> detecting standalones and then deleting them after? I dunno.

More aggressive or less aggressive? The Fort McMurray import caught
just about every roadway, but missed a lot of the little stubs that
joined to the existing roadways. Those can take a lot of time to
promote using the delete everything else/merge method.

>> In areas where there is very little existing data, such as where I've
>> tracked a highway for hundreds of miles, it would be easier to simply
>> upload the full GeoBase data, and delete the GPX tracked way.
>
> This can be done from a technical perspective,  we'd just have to decide
> which areas we want to do this for.

It would probably have to be done on a case by case basis. How about
creating 2 files. One that has unique roads, and one that has
duplicated ways? Kind of like a positive and negative image. Selecting
and promoting things from the negative version would be easier, as it
would include only the ways that didn't make the cut, and would be the
ones that would need to be imported.

> JOSM has a form of this.

Just need to find out how to use JOSM, and then find out how to select
the interesting ways, and then how to do a bulk tag change.

James
VE6SRV