[Talk-ca] canvec2osm update - CanVec_EntitiesCodesFileNames

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 08:03:56 BST 2009

Hi all,
Just an FYI for what im upto.
I'm working on simplifying the canvec rules.txt file, so then it will be
easier to understand and check the canvec2osm script for errors. ... as they
are found :)

According to me, all the tags are accurate. .. however, that's just 1 person
looking at it.  So im sure there are errors.

I have the XLS chart that was created back in march (my NRCan),  from
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/doc/ which i copied onto Google Doc
spreadsheet.
So I can share it with anyone who asks, and make it public, as well s create
a PDF of that it currently looks like.  I added in a couple columns for the
appropriate OSM tags, as well as what the rules.txt file is called.

What this means is that it's a little delay in launching the canvec2osm
script out of BETA. .. but what it does do is ensure that the tags are
100%.   So as i'm going through the whole rules.txt im making these 89
rules.txt files which will be in a folder as part of the canvec2osm program.

This came about when i accidentally deleted my work on the current rules.txt
files, as well as in discussions with James about what tags to use and what
to keep with all the railway tags, as well as fixing up the wiki charts, by
shrinking down the Transportation chart into 4 groups.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Transportation_(TR)<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Transportation_%28TR%29>

As im going through it again, im making a list of the features that are up
for discussion.

cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails