[Talk-ca] canvec2osm v0.82 update

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 04:55:52 BST 2009

Hi all,

I have finally, got together the canvec2osm script, which now separates each
rules.txt file into a separate sub-routeen for the script, so it's easier to
look at.

http://sites.google.com/site/canadawikimap/Home/rulesTXT.zip

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rP0soJiyFhapKZbRLYZ74zA&output=html

and the PDF (it's a 6 meg file) showing the same thing.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rP0soJiyFhapKZbRLYZ74zA&output=pdf

and you can download the program. .. however (for Richard Weait) i wouldn't
recommend it, because there ARE known errors. and the Script is still in
BETA.
... it's just that i cant constantly upload the new version after each edit.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3b30da6df507290219747bd91027d4dd9de794d9333c8264

Because there are 339 unique features, each with it's own debate.
I felt it best that it gets shown on a spreadsheet.   These Wikicharts are
difficult to edit, and maintain. .. if it was only 20 features, then yes its
easy.  But with so many features, and the fact that it required me to edit
the original program to make the fixes. .. using this Google Docs is MUCH
easier.

I'll include the program download.exe (for the next version) so then the
script will automatically download the latest rules.txt files from my Google
Apps website, and get the latest.  So as soon as the Google Docs files are
edited. .. the whole program will be updated.
So it's just the relations between each file that need to be fixed up before
that can happen.

I decided that the folowing features will not get imported with this script.
These features are highlighted on the Speadsheet with orange.
-rivers ('cause it's included in GeoBaseNHN, which i'll deal with once this
canvec2osm script is done)
*waterbodies (same reason as above)
*roads ('cause SteveS already did the magic)
*building=yes nodes ('cause someone doesnt like it)
*NTS Boundary polygon ('cause it's not needed, but only helpful for the
person importing the area)
*contour lines metric ('cause Kosmos already get contour lines, and a Garmin
map will be made from them)
*contour line imperial (cause it's imperial)
*junctions 'cause it's just nodes, and aready covered with GeoBaseNRN ..
accept keep amenity=ferry_terminal

So anyway, for anyone who wants to help edit the chart directly, just ask.
:)
Hopefully there will be some volunteers who can go through the chart and
list it as green.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

P.S. Over the next week i'll be uploading more sample areas and stretching
out bit further. Since the script is better.  ... it's probably about 90%
accurate.

Twitter: @Acrosscanada