[Talk-ca] Large amount of nodes displaced across Montreal region

George B. brssrd144 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:23:19 BST 2009

Hello everybody,

I think at least 95% of the 2400 nodes that were moved from the island of
Montreal on 7 July as a result of the problem changeset # 1765828 (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1765828 ) have been reverted
back to their original position thanks to the manual labour of many users
(if you check the history of the region; you'll see that they have been
working since day before yesterday until yesterday morning)  Acutally, I'm
surprised that there wasn't much information on the wiki to help us do this
revert process automatically.  Thanks Nicolas, you suggested that Perl
script and, after a modification to line 61 of Revert.pm (it should read my
$transaction = 0), I got it to work yesterday afternoon.  I made those bot
edits under the username "brssrd144_bot".

Daniel, Jean-Sébastien, thanks for your help and concerns.  The map should
be back to normal and Nicolas' script suggestion did the trick so there's no
urgent need for writing a new one.  However, I'm sure this could happen
anywhere in the rest of the world, so we should probably share our
experiences or maybe create a more user-friendly script and then
update/create a wiki page on "reverting changesets", etc.

Also, is it possible for some of you to have a quick look over the Montreal
region to verify that there are no more misplaced nodes and that the
corrections made are adequate?

Thanks,
George B.