[Talk-ca] GeoBase import seems to have problems with the old data (yahoo, wikipedia..)

Steve Weber steve.r.weber at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 00:17:10 BST 2009

I find many problems where a main road going through a town/city from a
Yahoo/Other source is interfering with the GeoBase  import.
The GeoBase data is GOOD and more correct in my area (from my tests).

examples of some problems (MANY others can be found all over)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.73529&lon=-80.94734&zoom=15&layers=B000TTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.12968&lon=-81.15164&zoom=16&layers=B000TTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.15043&lon=-81.01918&zoom=15&layers=B000TTF<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.15043&lon=-81.01918&zoom=15&layers=B000TTF>These
show where a main rode causes the intersections from the GeoBase data not to
connect....

and here is a example of two roads where only one should be.. also some
strange T intersections:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=44.1248&lon=-81.4256&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
many more can be found like this to...

my point is... I think my efforts in cleaning up the data using the editor
in http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit is way to much work.. when
the problematic data could be removed and then redo the import...  Or
just start fresh with the clean GeoBase data that has proper junctions in my
area.

one question...
on the example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=44.15098&lon=-81.02072&zoom=16
"Grey Rd 4" AKA "10th Street" seems to be causing the other streets not to
connect to the GeoBase (10th Street).. So if i went into edit mode and
deleted the "Grey Rd 4" the (old source).  Would a script run next time OSM
updates and replace the missing old road with the GeoBase data and fix the
intersections?

Thanks and keep up the good work.