[Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap using Nanaimo Roads

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:51:50 BST 2009

Hi there,
(please forward to Jason Birch)

Im in touch with Jamie Popkin who is importing the SHP files which are
available on the website, and says that Jason Birch is interested in
OpenStreetMap, and interested in how to import the data.

Unfortunatly, there was a miss-communication.

The regular procedure for any bulk-import of data to openstreetmap requires
1st, as proper attribution and licencing is required before any importing.
See this site.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources

Because OpenStreetMap.org is free from copyright, unlike other copyrighted
maps, this data is collected from individuals on the ground, and from data
thats 'public domain', or with direct concent from the origional source.

The website link, does not say if this data is actually 'free to use as you
like'.  Because 'All rights reserved' means that data is in copyright.

http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/departments/Engineering-Public-Works/4489/DigitalData.html

*Although the City of Nanaimo tries to assure the accuracy of all
information here, you should confirm all information.*
Copyright © 2008 City of Nanaimo. All rights reserved.
Legal Disclaimer<http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/want/view/legal-disclaimer.html>,
Privacy Policy <http://www.nanaimo.ca/EN/main/want/view/privacy-policy.html>
The easiest way around that is for someone from the City of Nanaimo to right
back and say that it's OK to use this data for import into
www.openstreetmap.org

I attached the discussion below.

Thanks In advance,
Sam Vekemans