[Talk-ca] GeoBaseNHN updated beta 0.12

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:23:22 BST 2009

Hi all,

I've updated the script, so that it works the same way that the canvec2osm
script works. I have the download and the sample area available for viewing.
  Some of the files are big, so they might take some time to load.
(now that canvec2osm is just about ready to launch)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoBaseNHN2osm

As you might notice, that there are some duplicate features which are
duplicated from the canvec data, this causes some problems when trying to
import the full canvec area, as features are missing.
The best way todo this is to be doing both geobaseNHN2osm and CanVec2osm at
the same time, this way,  all the features can be added without
interference.
The river features are more detailed in geobaseNHN, i've added the best tags
that i know of.  But need more opinions.

The same deal with the UUID, that's because we will get the latest data from
the local area source.  Ie. from Nanaimo Regional area (for example), they
can provide more accurate the uptodate info.   :-)   So currently the data
is from the best available source.

So in the case that a better version of a map feature is available, we can
do the same as with any mapping.  Just ask the person who uploaded the data
if it's ok.

Whats interesting to note is that their is a difference from the GeoBaseNHN
and from the CanVec Water features and from LandStat.  Most likely this is
due to the resulition, and the acquisition technique. so a mix of each.  So
the best bet is to just pick the best version available.

Anyway, there's more features that i need to make a wiki pages for.

Hopefully you might find some errors that need to be fixed.
I'll update the wiki for the GeoBaseNHN data.  Fortunatly, it's not as big
as the canvec data :) There's a few more edits to make.

Would it be easier if i just upload a small area in the 092c area?

Twitter: @Acrosscanada