[Talk-ca] Geobase data vs. OSM data on import

Austin Henry ahenry-ostcatalk at canoe.staticcling.org
Sun Jun 7 08:09:44 BST 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on importing (most of) the 082E tile, and the part of the
import process where you match roads in RoadMatcher is taking ages, even
though there's very little data in OSM for the area (the reason I picked
this tile, along with the fact that I used to live in the area).  The
reason it's taking so long is the fact that the OSM data for Highway 3
and the NRN data are very different in places.

It seems like a combinations of things might have affected the data
that's present now:
- valleys throwing the GPS accuracy way out (or killing it entirely, and
  enabling the "feature" of garmin (and other?) units where it just
  interpolates until it gets a lock back);
- low sampling frequency in the saved GPX tracks, which then got
  imported directly, or was traced at low zoom levels (the satellite
  data for most of highway 3 is low-res);
- there are certainly other scenarios, but it's getting late and my
  brain's a bit fuzzy from staring at RoadMatcher for hours.

It looks like the data was generally collected in one drive through by a
non-local.  I'm not saying the data's crap, some of is really quite
good.  But there are parts of it where it looks like a helicopter was
used :)  And I'm not entirely sure how trustworthy the NRN data really
is -- presumably it's good enough for the government to use, and most of
it says the positional accuracy is 25m or less...

So, what should I do for an upload?  Just upload the standalone portions
like the process says, or should I upload all of the data, and delete
the current OSM data where it's strange?

The files for this tile are at
http://drop.io/bvhw44o#list/sort_by_name/order_by_asc/60
for those who might wish to look at it.  I can find bounding boxes for
some examples if folks wish them.

peace,
	Austin.

--
Build a man fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.