[Talk-ca] CanVec data now in Cranbrook, BC

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 09:34:32 BST 2009

Hi all,
A (kind-of) quick note,
While i am still working on the 092c area (westcoast) and uploading a sample
area. I am starting to and continuing to upload data to this Cranbrook area
tile 082g12.  So that more features will be shown.

Everything accept these below have been uploaded:
HD_1470009_1single_line_watercourse_GeoBase (11.8 megs)
VE_1240009_2wooded_area (9.44megs)
HD_1480009_2waterbody_GeoBase (3.64megs)
BS_2010009_0amenity_v(2.22megs)
TR_1770009_0dead_end_GeoBase(2.05meg)
SS_1320049_2wetland(1.07megs)
FO_1200009_0elevation_point_GeoBase(825k)

The last few i'll probably still manually upload (just split it into a few)

I doing this one as an example, where (we) use the canvec.osm file, that
gets generated using the canvec2osm script.  (Which is now MOSTLY
complete).  Where users can be using the data as a "tool", rather than a
means.   What this means is that while im mapping a trail, i'll be adding in
the other map features that are available around me.  AND that this
information is "VARIBIABLE" because i was physically there.

What i'm doing is focusing on the less than 500k .osm files that get
created, and uploading those.  For the files which are over 500k, what i do
is manually select corners and regions; copy parts of it; make a new layer;
paste that part; hide the other layer; then upload just a part of it; then
remove those uploaded features from the origional.

The only stipulation with this method, is this.   IF 2 or more people are
working in the same area AND also uploading the canvec data, these people
can't be working independently (they would step on each others toes).  What
they can (and should) IMO do is get together for a 'mapping party' and divvy
up the data types or regions, and import the whole area all in 1 go.  (so
there is no conflict).  This way, we can have full communication, as well as
learn techniques from eachother.

Process:
My bias is for Vancouver Island ('cause i live here) and can use the region
as a full test bed for the import process.
Because (right now) more folks are focused on GeoBase Roads import, this
leaves me some time.  :-)

I do (IMO) think that the best approach to the import is to be following
behind on all the areas which have already been processed with geobase2osm.

Because now everyone knows that im working on this tile, PLEASE contact me
when your going to be working on it, (so i no to stop) until your done the
geobase import process).

CONGRATULATIONS:
I want to congratulate everyone on the great work so far.  It seems that
everyone is using the chart, and keeping everyone upto date on whats going
on.

CanVec Status Chart:
I think that it's about time to start posting the CanVec import status.  (im
now at v0.60)
Do you think we need more time to let more people examine these test areas?
Do you think we already covered most of those bugs listed?
Do people have objections to my process so far?

Here's the latest area.
(It's renders so fast WOW :)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.595&lon=-115.768&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

P.S. Perhaps i shouldn't have imported the data for this area (as it's
contrary to what i said before, with just focusing on the 092c area until
it's correct).  However, im confident that what i upoaded is fine.  However,
im prepared to have the changesets reverted if needed.