[Talk-ca] Bus Stop Tagging Standard?

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 23:08:48 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 12:05 -0400, Zachary Rallis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> New list member (and OSMer) here. Really intriguing and exciting
> project.
>

> I have data for most (If not all - still confirming this) of the bus
> stops for the municipal transit system in Kingston, ON and would love
> to start adding it to the map this weekend, but I've noticed there
> isn't much of a standard tagging for stops in a local transit system.
>

> Winnipeg seems to be leading the way from my (admittedly short)
> research. They have a proposed set of tags on their wiki page
> at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:Manitoba:Winnipeg#Bus_stops
>

> I'd like to get a discussion started about setting a national standard
> for stop tagging so that I only have to go through this stop data
> once. While I don't mind doing the entering, there are nearly 1500
> points here, and having to go through the list twice (Once for entry,
> the second for an update once there's a standard) would be a pain.

Hi Zach,

There's actually quite a bit of international discussion of how to
tag/represent transit information in OSM. This message from Chris
Osborne on transit-developers provides a good summary of where things
are currently at:

http://groups.google.com/group/transit-developers/browse_thread/thread/e60cdff62c340cd9

In particular, check out the proposed public transit schema:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema

I wouldn't worry _too_ much about entering things in the wrong format.
We can always do a bulk, automated change if it turns out to not be
quite what we want later. [ if you don't feel up to doing this, I'm sure
either myself or someone else interested in public transport can ]
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>