[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Bicycle boulevards

Mario Salvini salvini at t-online.de
Thu Jun 11 14:41:32 BST 2009

Paul Johnson schrieb:
> Shaun McDonald wrote:

>>> I would still like to see the cycleroad-proposal become reality,
>>> because these kind of streets IMHO merit their own class.
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/cycleroad
>>>

>> In my eyes, that road would be simply tagged with highway=cycleway.
>>

> Do cycleways normally allow motorized vehicles?  Bicycle boulevards do
> (even if they do make using one an exceptional pain).

if motorized vehicles are allowed is country-specific. In germany e.g.
cycleways are _only_ for bicycles (not even for pedestrians). Otherwise
it's allowed by additional signs.

In Germany "cycletreets" are normally in residential areas. They have
often sidewalks. And sometimes motorized vehicles are allowed thru
additional signs.

so my solution for a standard cyclestreet (e.g. for germany) is:

highway=cycleway (because the use of the decking is as a cycleway <-
designated for. but highway=residential could  be possible to.)
cycleway=cyclestreet ( to differ between lane/track/street)
footway=both (without that e.g. in germany pedestrian would be not
allowed. but with footway=* is signalized that there is a lane/way
designated for pedestrians)
motor_vehicle = yes (by default of a cycleway e.g. in germany they are
not allowed)

Regards
 Mario