[Talk-ca] cleaning up after the GeoBase import

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:12:49 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 20:48 -0400, Steve Singer wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, William Lachance wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm missing something, but I frankly just don't see the
> purpose in
> > tagging our data differently from the rest of the world, when we can
> > achieve the desired end (comparing OSM data to geobase) in an
> analytical
> > way simply by comparing the geometry and histories of both data sets
> > using tools like RoadMatcher. Perhaps this is a question we should
> put
> > to the larger openstreetmap community? I will fully admit I've only
> been
> > using and contributing to this project only sporadically for about a
> > year.
>
> Has anyone tried to see how well roadmatcher is able to match data
> imported from geobase against the original geobase data? You hope it
> would
> work well, but I wouldn't bet on it without some testing/verification.

My view is that if roadmatcher doesn't do a good job of this, we should
be able to write some software which can. The principles aren't terribly
involved.

> Having the uuids around also make it easier to talk about
> differences/errors
> between OSM and geobase data.  Someone can look at a road in OSM and
> easily
> find the original GeoBase road (using your favourite gis tool) and
> compare
> them.  Without the uuid somehow connected to the OSM road you'd be
> guessing
> at which road in the geobase data it comes from.

I'm not sure if I understand, can't you just compare roads based on
geometry? A UUID is basically just a pointer to a piece of data with
particular properties. Why can't you look up the same thing based on the
properties themselves? In the case of the road, can't you just compare
based on name, nodes, etc.? Is it just a tools problem or something
more?
--
William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com>