[Talk-ca] Cleaning up after the GeoBase import

Michael Barabanov michael.barabanov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 23:45:21 BST 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:13:23PM -0700, Austin Henry (ahenry-osm at canoe.staticcling.org) wrote:
> - Michael Barabanov arranged a host of electrons thusly: -
> > Hmm, did I say "more authoritative"?  I thought it was something like
> > "more consistent and topologically correct".
>
> Hmm, musing on the issue of topology (and assuming I understand what you
> mean by that term), it should be possible to write a program (or SQL
> query) that produces, for a given area, a list of all intersections, the
> names of the roads involved, and a lat/long pair.
>
> Given that list you should then be able to search the OSM data (with a
> certain amount of fuzz) to check the topology of OSM against that of
> GeoBase.

That's a possibility, though RoadMatcher is the tool for exactly this
purpose.   For now, after the import, in problematic places I compare
the topologies by opening the resulting .osm file from geobase2osm
script (not the standalone, but the whole thing) as another layer.  Then
data can be fixed right there in JOSM (and that's where we're back to
"if/once we fix it, it's pretty much as if we did a replacement").

Michael.