[Talk-ca] Ontario 040P

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 14 04:34:23 BST 2009

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Adam Glauser wrote:

> I've found a way[1], which appears to have come in with this import,
> but is incorrectly named.  I checked out the Geobase website and found
> their viewing tool[2], but I can't see the names for the NRN ways.
> How can I check whether this is, in fact, an error in the NRN data?
>
> Secondly, when I fix it, how should I be changing the import-related
> tags (such as attribution, source, and geobase:*)?

The RoadNames in Ontario don't come from GeoBase, they come from the
StatsCan data set.  I run roadmatcher on the GeoBase and StatsCan data to
try and assign names to GeoBase geometries.  The statscan data is known to
have positional issues.

The only way you can check this is to look at both the StatsCan data and the
GeoBase data together (using something like openjump)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/images/3/32/Brookmill.jpg

The blue lines are GeoBase roads.

The green lines are StatsCan roads with the name.

The (yellow selected) line is the way in question (geobase
uuid:3bca7e20d3664bc48b79c47c441b1175).  RoadMatcher matched that with
Brookmill Crescent.  I can sort of see how roadmatcher got confused.  I
was expecting name mismatches to sometimes happen (because the
statscan/geobase data at times differs by a lot).  So far this is the first
report of a mismatched name in Ontario, if the problem is widespread I can
try adjusting the roadmatcher settings (which would mean fewer matches thus
fewer roads with names).

To fix it I would recommened deleting the statscan:rbuid = 3357609 tag and
fixing the name.

As a side note: Doing this type of analysis would be much harder without
having the statscan and geobase id tags as part of the way.