[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] Lake Cowichan Now loaded (more of sample 092c area)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:17:23 BST 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:57 PM, "Marc Schütz"<schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:
>> I think the definitions really don't belong in the the data -- perhaps
>> if you want to see them, your browser should look them up in some
>> table rather than load from the data.
>
> +1
>
> It should be sufficient to keep the canvec:UUID, source and attribution tags, and maybe a few of the other canvec:* (CMAS?). I don't see why we would need most of the others. If someone is really interested in them, they can look them up in Canvec using the UUID.
>
> created_by should be removed, too. This is better moved into the changeset. One could even argue that "source" belongs there, too.

I'll chip in here too - for those who aren't digging into the data,
here's a typical church:

    * canvec:generic_code: 2010009
    * canvec:value_definition: A building serving as a place of
worship or residence for Christian or non-Christian religious order.
Religious building includes: convent; church; non-Christian place of
worship; monastery.
    * canvec:datasetName: 092C16
    * created_by: canvec2osm
    * canvec:VALDATE: 1989
    * canvec:CODE: 2010390
    * amenity: place_of_worship
    * canvec:PROVIDER: Federal
    * canvec:entity: Building - ( Bâtiment )
    * canvec:entity_definition: Permanent walled and roofed construction.
    * canvec:Theme: BS Buildings and structures
    * source: CanVec_Import_2009
    * canvec:value: Religious building - ( Établissement religieux )
    * attribution: Natural Resources Canada
    * canvec:UUID: 7bd7174ca8664fff8fe60c11853ceb73
    * canvec:Planimetric Accuracy (CMAS): 30
    * canvec:source: CanVec_Feature_Catalogue_Edition_1_0_2.pdf

That's a ridiculous number of "uninteresting" tags. So, so much of
this isn't useful for OpenStreetMap.

Keep:
amenity
canvec:UUID

Move onto changeset, since they are identical for everything in that changeset:
created_by
source
attribution

Remove:
Everything else.

Really, the point of OSM isn't to keep a copy of the Canvec data - it
can all be referenced externally for the 0.0001% of OSM users who are
interested. Otherwise our DB is being filled with data that isn't
needed for our project.

Cheers,
Andy