[Talk-ca] [nzopengis] LINZ -> OSM data import scripts, Garmin codes

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:15:59 BST 2009

2009/6/19 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>:
> You all seem to be having the same (IDENTICAL) issues that im (talk-ca
> list) are having with the CanVec data, &geobase please join in on the
> talk-ca list as your ideas are valuable, and of mutual benifit :-)

right, i'm sure we can learn off each other

> the talk-ca list has less than 100 subscribers.
> With only a few of us working on geobase, and even fewer working on CanVec.
>
> We too want to make the map Garmin happy,  as well as conform to OSM standards.
> And ALSO want to make the best of the available data.
>
> Are there LINZ people who are also mappers? That helps.
>
> Is there the same issue about how the data is sometimes old?

yes, but nzogps keep it up to date, and it's their data we're
importing rather than the data direct from linz

> Hopefully your following along with the RoadMatcher progress, as well
> as the latest for Vancouver Island CanVec sample area.

i wasn't no; is there a website we can look at, to see what's
happening/a page on the osm wiki? we have the beginning of an osm wiki
page, but not much too it. perhaps it needs populating more?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ

> So far, the only solution (for roads) is manual attaching to OSM
> data.This will make it routable. The downside is that its anoying, and
> takes almost as long to just trace it.

in nz, we seem to have either areas with really good coverage that
need very little work to finish (auckland city, chch, wgtn), or none
at all. there aren't a huge number of places which are in between. so,
i think it's not too bad a situation.

good thing is this matching can be done via the web, without visiting
the area, so many people can help out like with the recent tracing in
hamilton - i would guess not many of the tracers were in that city