[Talk-ca] CanVec rivers vs. NHN Rivers

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:56:50 BST 2009

Hi all,
It was pointed out about the River Names.  The names of rivers (along with
all other things) are from the Geographical name database.

I took a second look at the GeoBaseNHN2osm, and names of rivers are right on
the ways. .. where in CanVec, they area not.

My reasoning for including them in canVec was for ease of use, but now that
i know how to use bulkimport.pl   The solution is to convert the file, then
open the river ways in JOSM and examine it to see that it doesnt interfer
with OSM data, then use bulkimport.pl to load it.  (incstead of rectangles,
in GeoBaseNHN2osm they show up as 'blob' shaped figures, whre the whole
country is devided up.)

So in conclusion, i'm going to remove the 'sigleline watersourse', so it's
in the 'extra' folder,

This will make the canvec2osm script a bit easier to work with anyway.

Any objections to this?

Thanks,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails