[Talk-ca] Ontario NRN import update

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:02:10 BST 2009

2009/6/23 Steve Singer <ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca>:

> I NRN roads covering all of Ontario have now been imported.  It is possible
> that I missed a few areas (if so let me know). I will soon run a script
> connect intersections in adjacent tiles. The wiki has links to  .osm files
> containing the excluded and complete roads are available at links on the
> wiki.
>
> I'm thinking about doing Nova Scotia or Newfoundland next.  If anyone local
> wanted to do either of these let me know and I'll yield to you.

I'd kind of been wanting to do Halifax/Dartmouth as a test-bed for the
merging strategy I'd been thinking of trying out for a while. In any
case, the data available for Halifax/Dartmouth is already pretty
comprehensive and high quality, so there's probably less of a benefit
to importing the geobase data directly. You'd probably be spending a
lot of time fixing things up by hand.

>From what little I've looked, the rest of Nova Scotia is only sparsely
covered, so is probably a much better candidate for a geobase import
using the standard methodology (possibly with the help of someone
familiar with the area like Jeff).
--
William Lachance
wrlach at gmail.com