[Talk-ca] CanVec Building Import

Michel Gilbert michcasa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 02:29:44 GMT 2009

2009/2/26 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>

> [...]
>

>>  -          CanVec  Municipal hall (point) --> remove building:use=office
>>
> fixed. :)
>
>  -          CanVec Police station (point) --> remove
>> building:use=police_station --> we already have amenity=police
>>
> fixed :)
>
>>  -          CanVec Railway Station (point) --> remove
>> building:use=train_station --> we already have railway=station
>>
> fixed, and i added operator=*, i tend to want todo this for features where
> across canada it becomes significant. .. so then a VIA rail map can be
> produced, or a 'GO Transit' map can be produced. (for example).   Where the
> name would be 'Oakville GO Station', and operator would be 'GO Transit'.
>

>> -          CanVec Penal Building (point) --> remove building:use=prison
>> --> we already have amenity=prison
>>
> fixed :)
> and so, for ALL the buildings that are area's ill cross check to see that
> there all building=yes
>

>>  If you agree, I can make the changes in the wiki.
>>
>> 2) What are the CanVec Common tags. I propose the following ones. You can
>> add yours unless there are somewhere in the wiki.
>>
>> -          k="created_by" v="FME-CanvecBuildings2OSM" where v is the name
>> of the script used to create the import
>>
> I don't know about splitting up all of the 11 themes... i made that chart
> with the status in error.  It's MUCH easier to coordinate with the Feature
> ID CODE (the 7 digit code), so then all 300 features are listed in order,
> then i just scroll through to fix it.  The 11 themes are scattered all
> throughout the numbering sequence.
>
> Because FME has the ability to do the 'AutoMatch', and my script doesnt.
> ... i just created an individual OSM files for each of 7 digit codes
> contained in the files (ending in 09.shx)
>
> I could change it to .. k="created_by" v="shp-to-osm_canvec2osm" .. as that
> might be more clear to users???. .. 'cause my script is just running
> shp-to-osm over again 98 times.
>
>> -          k="canvec:uuid" v="baff4218d4ff45d18c0643e63906aab9" where v
>> is the BDG_ID CanVec attribute
>>

> Changed it to.  k"=canvec:uuid" v="baff4218d4ff45d18c0643e63906aab9"  ...
> actually, v is simply "ID" in all the .shp files.
> ... it's only for the road names that it gets confusing
> :0), fortunately i don't need to contend with that. ... your script does all
> that fancy work.
>
> NOTE for everyone:
> A "SHP" file actually consists of 4 files,  *.shp *.prj *.dbf and *.shx
>
> ... it took me a little while to figure out that one :-)  lol
>

>>  -          k="canvec:source" v="Buildings_and_Structures_3.0" where v is
>> the Canvec theme + CanVec version
>>
> According to the CanVec catalogue, its
>
> http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/doc/CanVec_feature_catalogue_v1_0_2_en.pdf
> So i changed it to.
>
> k="canvec:source" v="CanVec_feature_catalogue_v1_0_2_en.pdf"
>
> or maybe
> k="canvec:source" v="CanVec Feature Catalogue Edition 1.0.2" ???

Sam and I agreed for  k="canvec:source" v="CanVec_feature_catalogue_
v1_0_2_en.pdf"

> ... 'cause when version 1.0.3 comes out, (later in the spring) ID will be
> (most likely) more ID's made available, and additions/removal/change looking
> at the NID's
>
> (I CC'd NRCan just to be sure)
>
>> -          k="canvec:datasetName" v="022A09" where v is the DATASET_NAME
>> CanVec attribute
>>
> for that your talking about the
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Administrative_boundaries_(LI)<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Administrative_boundaries_%28LI%29>
> 46- NTS50K boundary polygon - (Polygone de découpage SNRC50K)
> which comes from shp file ***********LI_1210009_2
>
> so i changed it to k="canvec:datasetName" v="022A09" ... but to take it to
> the next level, and adding in what it actually is called "Claycot Sound",
> it's possible for me to add this as a tag.  (As i already have the list of
> names).  Do you want this?
>
> if so, we can change it to..
>  k="canvec:datasetID" v="022A09"
>  k="canvec:datasetName" v="Claycot Sound"

Ok for both tags.

>  3) Do you known if point feature tagged as building=yes are rendered in
>> Mapnik. It does not seem to be displayed ???
>>
> Right, 'point' features, should NOT contain the tag 'building=yes' .. only
> polygons should have this tag.  amenity=prison, when listed as a point, by
> it's self... the icon will show up.

I don't know what to do here. In JOSM the previous tags seem to give the
right rendering. So it would make sense to use them However I do not know
why it should be for Mapnik or osmarender ? There is no point to import
features if they do not display in osm. Is there somthing I missed here ?

--
Michel Gilbert