[Talk-ca] Wiki edits - Hydrography

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:03:49 GMT 2009

Hi thanks for all the edits :)
1 - I like the new table edit, where 3 lines are merges into 1 ... that
makes sence ... and saves in space making the chart smaller. ...
When i go through the other charts again, i'll be fixing that.

2 - I saw you indicated that more of the Features are listed in NHN than i
have indicated.

The source for my assumption that items were in geobase is from the CanVec
PDF map features cart, where it lists weather or not the item is in fact IN
geobase.

So my assumption is that the charts already were correct???

So to elevate this quarry, i propose that a link to the GeoBase NHN chart is
made available (link to it), and in the NHN chart, these same map features
get listed.

Anyway, when looking over the latest verion of canvec2osm, i see that those
items that were put in the 'geobase' folder,.. are actually very good.  IMO.

I havent yet (but i should) dig into geobase and download for myself the NHN
area of Niagra falls.. I can then make the same import script using the
shp-to-osm Java script, and add in all of the database columns, with the
appropriate source tags.

I would recommend my method, rather than using the geobase2osm script.
This is because for Hydrography, there is very little to no actual
'duplicates'.   So searching the area to find any duplicates is very easy
going about it the manual way.

Also, i do have a bias about geobase2osm (that is that i do not understand
HOW to actually run the script)  For me, running a java script is simple,
because Java is already installed on windows machines when your on the net.
 .. perl & python is VERY confusing :-)

However, like NHN, the canvec2osm features DO cover a WHOLE LOT of data.. so
taking on the next phase is some extra work. ... which i think also needs to
be done.

That said, i would propose that once im mostly done the charts and matching
up all the features which is NOT in GeoBase, that i hold off on pushing for
import.  Then I can start work on the GeoBaseNHN2osm.bat script

Has anyone already started it?

Oh ya, and 1 last point.

For where it says "Is in GeoBase – do not use - N/A in OSM" I would like to
challenge each of these statements and explain WHY.... ie.
39- Manmade hydrographic entity - (Entité hydrographique
anthropique)1450009[image:
Image:Mf_node.png]
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Mf_node.png> [image:
way] <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Mf_way.png> [image:
area]<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Mf_area.png>Wharf
- ( Quai )A structure built along or at an angle to the shore of navigable
waters so that ships may lie alongside to receive and discharge cargo and
passengers.1450080;1450081;1450082Is in GeoBase – do not use - N/A in OSM

A "warf" is certainly applicable in OSM, at some point boaters will be able
to use OSM, as they can help fix the charts and map the oceans. ... :-)
 (once boaters see the awesome power of community mapping, that is.)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails