[Talk-ca] Collaborative road tagging for rehabilitation

Yves Moisan ymoisan at cooptel.qc.ca
Thu Mar 5 21:49:33 GMT 2009

Hi All,

On my way to a nearby ski center this morning, I hit one of the worst
roads I've come across for a while : pavement badly affected, bumps ...
I was wondering if there existed a program (possibly using the CloudMade
API) or an attribute I could use in the current OSM to tag road segments
in terms of their conditions.  I believe it would be a good idea if
people could collaboratively flag road sections that they feel need to
be taken care of.

We could even imagine some score for decision makers to use if there's
ever money for rehabilitating/reconstructing infrastructures.  On my way
this morning, I imagined if I had some vibration sensor coupled with a
GPS.  Vibration levels would sure count as a heavily weighted component
of a score system.  A simpler subjective system (1 = average to 5 =
awful ?) coupled with a voting system would do the job in the short term.

Anyways, anybody aware of such an initiative ?

Yves