[Talk-ca] ACQTECH vs. Valdate vs. OSM User imput for CanVec HD

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:16:38 GMT 2009

Hi,Ya we (the OSM community) dont use Google Earth (because the map isn't
free, you cant take a printed map of Google Earth/Google Maps and print it
in Books. .. you can with OpenStreetMap.org

By submitting your original GPX tracks to OSM, you then help build the
larger map of the world, the more original GPS tracks that get added to the
area, the more likely and easier it is to accurately tell what map features
are more accurate.

The map that your making (yes, it is useful) however, the OpenCycleMap
currently available, is also available to download as a garmin map from
Cloudmade
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america/canada#breadcrumbs

& the OpenHikingMap is currently in progress which takes the OSM map
features and tones down the highways so then all the trails stand out more.
 Also, all the things relevant to Hiking will also be shown.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hiking_Map

Here's that the area of discussion looks like on the cyclemap layer
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.58793&lon=-114.5186&zoom=17&layers=00B0FTF

But of course, if your not into contributing to OSM directly, im sure Simon
would be able to help out again, and import the latest version of your .mp
map when it's ready :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails