[Talk-ca] [Talk-us] GNIS Import Done

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:19:50 GMT 2009

Hi all, thanks for the tips about tagging schools / hospitals and such. :)
 I'm carefully following along and learning as i go, as i don't want to
repeat any of the same mistakes made before (but knowone is perfect, so im
sure i'll make more blunders as i have done before)

Anyway, i too have the generic for hospitals.
what i tend todo is put "emergency=no/yes"

for schools, same here i just have the basic.
point,CODE,2010420,amenity,school
point,CODE,2010420,college,yes
point,CODE,2010420,university,yes
point,CODE,2010420,elementary,yes
point,CODE,2010420,post_secondary,yes
point,CODE,2010420,seminary,yes

so then when people physically varify the data on the ground, they can
either change it to "no" or remove it... there are some cases of a
'polytechnic' university, which is both university and college.  ... also in
the USA you say "college" which is different than Canadian 'college'.
 Personally, i would merge 'college' & 'post_secondary' as it means the same
thing.

In the wiki, there is amenity=college, amenity=university,
amenity=kindergarden. .. and i don't see one for grades 1 - 12.. perhaps it
should be proposed? (if i have time i'll get around to it, but dont wait for
me) :)

IMO, when mapping it's best to map your area as you see fit, and not be too
concerned about 'official naming', like some else said "alt:name" written as
the official name, or something like that.
So for me, i would write canvec:name=* and have 'name=*' as the name it's
known as.

I'm using Tagwatch to look around and see what else is being used,

I am also going through the painful process of creating WIKI pages for those
tags that i think should get it's own icon, and be used. As well as
commenting on various talk pages on tags that i think need more explanation
This way, there is a better chance that the tag will become "common" :-)
 and by posting it to a wiki, there's a good chance that someone else would
mention some ideas that weren't thought of before. ...

Hope that helps some people,

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails