[Talk-ca] An exploration of the possibility of an OSM - GeoBase partnership

Mepham, Michael Michael.Mepham at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Mar 23 20:25:04 GMT 2009

At the last GeoBase Steering Committee meeting we discussed ideas on how
GeoBase and Open StreetMap could work together to each others advantage.
We believe that each group has its strengths and that by supporting each
other we can both benefit.

Now that it appears that the import of the GeoBase data into OSM is
progressing well we would like to discuss the possibility of OSM helping
with the maintenance of the GeoBase road network.  As you are well aware
there are a lot of roads in the GeoBase data base.  The maintenance of
these roads is a significant undertaking that is being performed by all
the provinces and many of the municipalities, as well.  Probably the
most difficult part of any mapping maintenance program is the detection
of the errors and changes that need to be reflected in the data base.

We think that the members of OSM are in a position to assist in the
change detection for the road network and would like to get a feel for
their interest in contributing change notices to GeoBase.  These change
notices would potentially be used in a couple of ways.  They could be
redistributed through GeoBase to inform all other users that there has
been changes detected and what those changes are.  The second use would
be to identify where our mapping crews and contractors should direct
their attention in updating the NRN as part of the ongoing maintenance
program.

I have posted this to the talk-ca list to initiate a discussion between
the OSM members and GeoBase.  I invite interested persons to write me
directly or through the list with any comments or questions.  I also
accept calls at the phone numbers below if you would prefer a verbal
conversation.

I will take the results of this conversation to the next meeting of the
steering committee in mid-April and then we, GeoBase and OSM, can work
out how (and if) to proceed.

Also, for clarity - Whether or not we all proceed with this idea will
have absolutely no impact on the availability of the GeoBase data to
OSM.  Access will continue on the free and unrestricted use plan as
identified in the GeoBase license in either case.

I look forward to your replies.

Mike Mepham

Federal/Provincial/Territorial Liaison

GeoConnections Program

Natural Resources Canada

E-Mail:  MMepham at NRCan.gc.ca <mailto:MMepham at NRCan.gc.ca>

Ottawa

Regina

Phone:

(613) 992-8549