[Talk-ca] Fwd: Merging OSM + Geobase

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 14:31:54 GMT 2009

AUGGHHHH!!!!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 7:51 AM, William Lachance <wrlach at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yup, I should have noted this-- it probably makes sense in many cases
> for this script to merge some of the GeoBase segments together into
> single OSM ways, as there doesn't seem to be any reason for them to
> remain seperate (e.g. I believe all the "Agricola" segments in Halifax
> have the same properties).

But GeoBase identifies each segment between intersections as a unique
segment, with a unique ID. I am in favour of keeping GeoBase ways
intact. Modification of the GeoBase ways to depict better geometry,
and other modification should keep the rest of the information in
place. This makes it easier for future import processes and
comparisons.

The GeoBase people now showing interest in the OSM project to help
them identify new roads, or areas of concern. This is yet another
reason to keep GeoBase attributes in place.

I know people will argue that the OSM project should not be dictated
to by outside influences, such as GeoBase, but the flip side of the
coin is that if we play nice with others, both groups can benefit.

Wouldn't it be a feather in our cap to have the Government of Canada
and OSM become partners in a collaborative crowd-sourced national map
database for the second largest country in the world?

James
VE6SRV