[Talk-ca] importing geobase data for the Canadian boarder

Ben Konrath ben at bagu.org
Thu May 28 02:40:32 BST 2009

Hi Paul,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> Ben Konrath wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm interested in creating a map that contains all of Canada's territory
> > up to the border with our neighbouring countries or the ocean border.
> > The first problem that I found is that the Canadian border isn't defined
> > well in the OSM data. As an example, the border running to the South of
> > New Brunswick can't be correct:
> >
> > http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.277&lon=-65.323&zoom=9&layers=B000FTF
> > <http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.277&lon=-65.323&zoom=9&layers=B000FTF>
>
> Wow, and looking at the tags, it appears Geobase has ceded Halifax to
> State of Maine.

So is it ok to manually fix this? I also noticed that there is a
conflict between the Geobase data and the old border data in BC. Do
you know which data is more accurate so that I can manually fix it?:

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.9899&lon=-123.2273&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF

(Oh and I noticed that I can't spell ;)

Thanks, Ben