[Talk-ca] Python version of canvec-to-osm

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Thu Nov 12 03:16:29 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have created a python version of canvec-to-osm. It does basically the
same as Sam's batch files. With it, 1 or 16 tiles are downloaded,
converted, and put in a ZIP file.

The script can be found here:
http://www.steggink.org/osm/Canvec/Canvec-to-osm_v0.1.zip

Requirements:
- Python 2.6 (recommended) or 2.5: http://www.python.org/
- Java Runtime Environment: http://www.java.com/
- recent version of shp-to-osm:
http://redmine.yellowbkpk.com/projects/list_files/geo

I've tested the script both on Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) with
shp-to-osm 0.7.1 - 0.7.3.
The rules files come from Sam's canvec-to-osm script, version 0.9.6.0.
They are not the final rules files which should be available in a few
weeks. If you want to add more features, or exclude some features from
being processed, you can easily add / remove lines from
canvec_to_osm_features.py.

The configuration of this script is part of the script itself (for now).
The default should be enough to get you going, so it is not necessary to
change the configuration. You can do this, if you already have an
existing directory to store Canvec SHP data. The script does not attempt
to modify the feature geometries. This should be done by more
specialized scripts / applications. I haven't looked in that.

Detailed instructions can be found in the readme. Questions and feedback
are welcome.

Regards,

Frank