[Talk-ca] [Imports] Shp2OSM : various questions

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:34:21 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Emilie Laffray
>> <emilie.laffray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> shp-to-osm.
>> > Pieren did.
>> >

>> I'm sure it can be coded in a better way, especially with a real xml
>> parsing but it's fast and worked well:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Corine_Data_Import#Removing_duplicate_nodes
>>
>> Ah, so this is only removing duplicate nodes and not creating boundary
> relations out of exactly-overlapping ways.

I think thats 3 separate bugs.  Where this this one handles nodes of a way.
and the next challenge is to handle polygons.  and the next, multi-polygon.

It sound like thats the solution which would solve the
'railways/rivers/powerlines/roads' map features of canvec.   Sweet!

It appears that scripts are around for each of them, it would be wild if the
script could 'detect; in the shp file as to if it's a polygon or a
multi-polygon.

... tipping beyond my comprehension, but its wild to see it all fall
together. :)

and on another (similar note)

Cool, so to answer my own question.  Yes, it can be included as part of the
python script routeen, as another step, making a new .osm file.   :)

Has anyone figured out how to slice that .osm file into a grid?  So that
each grid piece can be made available (for people to manually copy in what
they like)   (so that full.osm file is ALSO available)

The only way that i know of is gpsbabel (might be able todo that).  So i
think it would be a matter of having a script measure the size of the area,
and find the mid-point, and draw a line through the area.   (just like how
in JOSM you can copy the top half and make a new layer and past it, then
delete) (in other words 'cut' and 'paste')  but doing this as part of a
script instead of this manual way.