[Talk-ca] Modifying GeoBase Ways.

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Nov 17 21:49:13 GMT 2009

Hi James,

I feel that my answer leaved you with some (bad?) impression. Let me try to clarify.

About replacing ways:
I was just trying to remember everyone that
- Common GPS devices produce tracks that have errors on it,
- I would replace a way only when I'm sure mine is better,
- The more I know about the data, better is my decision.

I was not saying that there are no errors in GeoBase data neither that it should not be modified/replaced.

Once said, as you were on the filed, you are the best person to take the decision!

About using GeoBase attributes:
I was trying to feed the discussion using two obvious situations.  I was not trying to restrict OSM user from doing whatever they want with the data (example: one or two lanes instead of 1.5!)

Replaced way:
I said that if someone replaces a GeoBase way with something else, it is not from GeoBase anymore.  I was assuming that the rest of the information also came from the field. Actually, if someone gets information on the field that confirms GeoBase descriptors, it does not make GeoBase the owner of the information! Then, there is no need for attribution to GeoBase.

If you wish to add information that you did not get from the field (like the geobase:uuid tag), yes it is getting more complicated in term of attribution (even if the name of the tag is explicit), or even illegal if someone use Google's street name to feed osm name tag.

Modified way:
I said that if someone modifies a GeoBase way, the attribution is still there and the history keeps track of the contributor who made the changes. I was assuming modification were minor.

However (and may be that was your point), at what time a modification to a GeoBase way made it not GeoBase anymore (and attribution not needed anymore)?

I do not know!  Are there best practices about attribution rules in osm? I will try on my side to get advices but my guess is there will be a lot of shade in an eventual answer!

Osm contribution in GeoBase:
You wrote, "I understand that the changes made in the OSM database may end up being used by GeoBase to find changes that might be integrated back into the GeoBase database". I have never read that on Talk-ca.

Actually, CTIS (NRCan) is looking at using osm data in a change detection tool to flag potential problem in our Canvec product.

Because we are using GeoBase data, it would be a good idea to use detected changes to warn a province that a feature may need updates.  Having provinces answering to that would probably result in a better GeoBase product and, consequently, in a better Canvec product.

Again, I (and CTIS) do not want to restrict OSM user from doing whatever they want with osm data. It is too wonderful to see people mapping their neighbourhood and create a better osm map.

Sam's style is influencing me, next time I will try to be shorter!)

Regards,

Daniel
Center for Topographic Information in Sherbrooke (NRCan)